NS 8998 8749
1806 Airth Associate Congregation 1820
Erskine Associate Congregation
1806 Airth Burgher Church 1820
1820 Airth United Associate Congregation 1847
1847 Airth United Presbyterian Church 1900
1900 West United Free Church 1929
1929 South Church of Scotland 1956
1806: New congregation formed in Airth from that of Falkirk.
Illus: The plaque re-erected in 1962
1809: Church built between Main Street and High Street, near the south-west edge of the village. It was a plain oblong structure of large squared rubble with droved dressings and quoins, measuring 56 ft from north-east to south-west by 45 ft 6 in transversely. The roof was hipped and slated. High up in the centre of the south-east side there was a panel of quatrefoil shape enclosed within a backset moulding. Its inscription was poorly executed in a mixture of scripts and with some letters disproportionately small. It read: THIS HOUSE/ WAS ERECTED/ AT THE EXPENCE OF THE/ BURGHER MEETING AT/ AIRTH A.D.1809. At either end a square-headed entrance door, with blind windows above, opened into transverse lobbies. The south-west one being converted into a vestry at some date; whilst the south-west one had a session house cut off its south-east end.
1900: Combined with the Free Church in Main Street to form the United Free Church.
1909: Re-seated and stained glass windows introduced.
1929: Union with the Established Church. The gallery removed and the fenestration altered.
1956: Congregation dissolved on January 1st and amalgamated with that of the North Church. The old building was demolished in 1961. The inscription mentioned above was incorporated into the front of the new dwelling houses on Main Street.
The manse stood adjacent to the church on the east side.
MINISTERS OF AIRTH ERSKINE CHURCH
|Sommerville, James||Feb 1865|
|Leith, James||Sep 1869|
|Rose, William||Jan 1875|
|Leckie, Robert||Feb 1897|
|Miller, James Hamilton||Dec 1955|
G.B. Bailey (2019)