The present location of ordnance made in Falkirk: smooth bore muzzle loading (SBML)
The attached table [Present location of Ordnance made in Falkirk] presents the current known location of over 170 pieces of ordnance made at the either the Carron Iron Works or at the Falkirk Iron Works. There will be many more out there and we would appreciate it if you could contact us to let us know the presence of any others – or to provide us with photographs.
Above: Cannon made by Carron Company, found at Rothesay Pier in 1995 on display in Rothesay Castle. Photograph: Charles Taylor
Above: Cannon made by Carron, a 32-pdr Blomefield with serial number 85156. Believed to have been in Orkney since 1860, according to an article in the Orkney Herald. It was used by the local Artillery volunteers, and was first fired on Queen Victoria’s birthday in 1861. It has been on its present site since at least the late 1950s and its carriage had suffered from the passing of time. Rot was quite advanced and it was getting to the point that it was unsafe. Because of Covid restrictions, the Army Reserve troop had not been able to travel to the mainland for training, so in the spring of 2021 they rebuilt the cannon carriage, copying the dimensions off the old carriage, using the original cast wheels and as much of the metal hardware as possible. Information and Photographs: Laurence Tait.
Above: Two cannons on a closed US Navy base in Puerto Rico. Sabana Seca US Navy Base was closed in 2003 due to political issues in the island. The cannons may have been in display and may have been used to protect the island from invasions during the late 1700’s and 1800’s. Puerto Rico was owned by Spain, but now a commonwealth of the US. Photo: Wilfredo Algarin.