The family graveyard at Muiravonside Estate was created in 1862 by Charles Stirling. It lies to the east of Muiravonside House astride a path descending into the picturesque valley of the Avon. It was created in 1862 and was consecrated by Charles Terrot, Bishop of Edinburgh, on 4th July. The associated document reads: “the said piece of ground be severed from all common and profane uses whatsoever… and to dedicate and consecrate it to the sacred name of God, to be used from henceforth as a Cemetery or place of Christian burial only”. The enclosure is rectangular with boundary walls of brick protected by sandstone copes. It is terraced into the hill slope with the ground to the west of a central path at a higher level. The path has wrought iron gates at either end. The first burial was in the centre of the graveyard:
“SACRED/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF/ CHARLOTTE DOROTHEA/ WIFE OF/ CHARLES STIRLING, ESQ/ OF MUIRAVONSIDE/ AND DAUGHTER OF/ VICE ADMIRAL/ CHARLES STIRLING/ OF WOBURN FARM, SURREY,/ WHO DIED/ AT 18 CURZON STREET/ LONDON/ 26TH JUNE 1862/ AGED 62”.
The stones were broken but have been restored by Falkirk Council. Those that remain are:
“SACRED/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF/ CHARLES STIRLING, ESQ./ OF MUIRAVONSIDE/ FOURTH SON OF ANDREW STIRLING, ESQ./ OF DRUMPELLIER/ AND LETTYR STIRLING/ DIED HERE/ 25TH AUGUST 1867/ AGED 77”
“IN MEMORY OF/ JANET FLEMING/ FOR 46 YEARS THE FAITHFUL/ AND BELOVED NURSE IN THE/ FAMILY OF/ CHARLES STIRLING ESQ/ OF MUIRAVONSIDE,/ WHO DIED/ AT MUIRAVONSIDE/ JUNE 11TH 1875,/ AGED 87.”
“IN MEMORY OF/ CHARLOTTE STIRLING/ WHO DIED AT/ —– —- / IN THE ATLANTIC 1880, AGED 4-/ CHILDREN OF/ CHARLES STIRLING ESQ/ OF MUIRAVONSIDE/ THERE SHALL NO EVIL BEFALL THEE/ / FOR IF WHEN WE WERE ENEMIES, WE WERE/ RECONCILED TO GOD BY THE DEATH OF HIS/ SON, MUCH MORE BEING RECONCILED WE SHALL/ BE SAVED BY HIS LIFE”
[Psalm 91.10 & Roman 5.10]
Stepped plinth: “JOHN STIRLING/ OF MUIRAVONSIDE/ BORN NOV 11 1860 DIED DEC18 1906”
Plinth of cross, south side: “IN PROUD MEMORY/ OF/ COMMANDER T.W.STIRLING, O.B.E. R.N./ BORN 1866 DIED 1930./ “THE RIGHTEOUS ARE IN THE HAND OF GOD.”
Thomas Stirling was living at Muriavonside House periodically and he died there on 17 March 1930 aged 64 and was buried in the private graveyard. As far as can be made out he was the last to be interred there.
Muiravonside House Graveyard SMR 850 NS 9676 7529