- NS 8888 8002
- NS 8870 7964
1896: The minister of the Meek’s Road Evangelical Union Church and several of his congregation had a difference. He and nearly 100 of his congregation were admitted into the established church in May the following year. They held services in the Masonic Hall, the Old Baptist Church in Melville Street and were then offered the old Free Church building free of charge.
1897: The new congregation bought the old Evangelical Union building in Bank Street for £1,300 and named it St. Modan’s in honour of the sixth century saint.
1915: New church built in Cochran Street to the design of P. MacGregor Chalmers in the grounds of Rosehall. First sod cut in March 1914 by Graeme Whitelaw; foundation stone laid by Lord Glenconner October 1914; and the church dedicated in December 1915 by Rev D. Paul, moderator of the General Assembly. The style is distinctly Norman. It is well executed in a cream coloured stone set in courses, snecked rubble with ashlar dressings externally and dressed inside the building. The nave is aligned N-S. Large columns dominate the interior and separate the nave from the aisles. Each pillar is differently carved. The clerestory supports an open timber barrel-roof. Over the four doorways into the nave are carved texts from the Bible, and others occur below the clerestory windows. At the north end an apsidal recess contained the communion table and seats for elders. The arches in the sedilia of the apse are not true arches. A smaller apse, at the northern end of the west aisle, contained the baptismal font. The choir stalls, pews and other furniture were of oak, including the pulpit which had a freestone base. The builder for the work was John Gardner. Cost £5000
1923: Quad sacra parish created.
1929: Hall completed according to a design by Jeffrey Waddell, Glasgow, who had worked with MacGregor Chalmers on the church building.
1986: United with Falkirk Old in October.
1990: Hall demolished.
1991: Church building converted into flats.
1921: Purchased using a legacy.
1915: Communion table given by the ladies of the congregation; baptismal font by the children, collecting bags by the Rambler’s Club; engraved alms plates by Mr and Mrs Pryde; clock by Nicolson, jeweller; brass vases by the bible class.
1936: Pipe organ installed by Hill, Norman and Beard Ltd.
See separate entry for Stained Glass.
See separate entry for Falkirk Old & St. Modan’s Church War Memorial (page 4)
1915: Designed for 750.
MINISTERS OF ST. MODAN’S CHURCH
|Nov 1897||Jackson, Robert Winchester||1899|
|Aug 1899||McLean, John D.||Jan 1905|
|Apr 1905||Simpson, William||Aug 1909|
|Oct 1910||Pryde, John Marshall||1916|
|Nov 1917||Spence, John||1921|
|Jun 1921||Watt, Thomas Meikle||1926|
|1926||Brown, William R.||1932|
|Dec 1932||Scott, James Pringle||Oct 1945|
|Campbell, Neil||Sep 1972|
|Jan 1973||Foster, Graham Watson|
|Jan 1979||Smith, Ronald W.||1986|
Geoff B. Bailey (2019)