NS 8277 7969
1900s: Meetings held in Griffiths Hall by clergy of St. Alexander’s Church, Denny.
1910: Feb. Part of Broomhill paper mill converted into St. Joseph’s Mission with a concrete floor and glass roof. A small hall in the mill was also used by the congregation.
1924: Land secured adjacent to the small cottage rectory for a new church. The last service in the old building was on 1st August 1925, and the new structure was opened on the 7th August. The church measured 95 ft by 40 ft. It is constructed of terracotta firebricks with roughcast sides and asbestos slates on the roof. The entrance is approached by two flights of stairs leading to a central doorway, with a vestibule and two doors leading into the church. To the right of the entrance, on the NE corner of the building, is a prominent bell tower with a wooden upper storey. To the right of the High Altar is a chapel of Our Lady. Below the church is a large hall. A school opened in the same year, adjacent to the church.
1936: Alterations to manse and hall by Reginald Fairlie.
1925: Named St. Joseph.
PRIESTS OF ST. JOSEPH’S R.C. CHURCH
|Miley, Edward||Jul 1928|
|Downey, Michael||Oct 1938|
|McCabe, William A||1949|
|McGarvey, Thomas||Oct 1955|
Geoff B. Bailey (2019)