From 1683 to the early 19th century the Stintmasters carefully curated their scant resources to care for the Cross Well. Slowly the water supply was augmented and the period from 1820 to 1860 saw a massive programme of expansion as water was piped to other parts of the town and new wells were installed.
Bank Street Well
In August 1851 a complaint was made of a deficiency of water in the wells in Bank Street and within months it was reported that some improvement had been made on them (see also Reid 1993,40).
Cow Wynd Well
Erected by the Stintmasters (Reid 1993, 40).
The Stintmasters carried out repairs to the Garrison Wells in 1842 costing 10 shillings (a9.16).
A number of estimates for a pump at the Old Glebe were laid on the table and finally remitted to Bailie Anderson, with instructions to get one erected (Falkirk Herald 8 July 1875).
In 1852 the Stintmasters erected a well at the Hospital on Falkirk High Street under an arrangement made with Mr Forbes.
In 1850 Robert Russell demolished one of the town’s wells when he removed a derelict building in the Howgate. After months of correspondence with him on the subject it was reported that Robert Adam had acquired the property and intended to build a dwelling/shop there. In 1851 Robert Adam agreed to leave a recess in the boundary wall to receive a replacement well.
Also known as Kilns Wells (Reid 1993, 40). Near the north-east corner of the Kilns (NS 8827 8022) and was reached by a path along the west side of the West Burn. It provided good quality soft water for the west end of the town and was evidently of some antiquity. It was fitted with a pump in the 1860s. The Falkirk Herald of 8 October 1890 reported that girls were carrying water late at night from Kiln’s Well as it was far better than that supplied from the Union Canal. Repeated attempt to close it in the first decade of the 20th century were opposed by the public, but it seems to have slipped out of use at the time of the First World War.
Maintained by the Stintmasters 1822-1845 (Reid 1993, 40).
Kirk Wynd Well
This is probably the same one as the “well at Gentels Barn” (Reid 1993, 40). It was on the corner of Bank Street and so may also be “the well at the Bank.”
In July 1850 it was stated that Mr Stark and John Easton were in the habit of driving cows down the road leading to the Meadow Well. The clerk was instructed to write to the parties ordering them to desist. 5s 6d was expended that year in cleaning Meadow Well. It stood on the northern side of Bell’s Meadow (NS 8927 7997).
This well may be the same as the Pilliwanton Well – the name having been sanitised.
In 1878 there was a proposal to use the Bell’s Meadow water, which yielded 70 gallons per minute, to supply Grahamston and Bainsford. The owner, Mrs Bell, granted permission and charged a nominal £20 per year for this good quality water.
Meek’s Road Well
Bailie Anderson reported that the pump in Meek’s Road had been made a lock pump at a cost of 10s (Falkirk Herald 8 July 1875).
In March 1850 a committee of the Stintmasters was examining sites for a well in the Pleasance and got liberty from Provost Adam to put a well in the pillar of the gate at the entry to his property. Josiah Baird being the lowest bid for plumber work was given the work. A month later it was reported that the well at the Pleasance was nearly finished.
In 1823 Alexander Monro, Alexander Callander, Peter Bell and James Russell each subscribed £7.0.0 to Randygate Well. In December 1851 this well at Kerse Lane was repaired.
Robert’s Wynd Well
(See Reid 1993).
Wallace Street Well
There was a well at Wallace Street in 1878.