NS 8876 8058
Grahamston Wesleyan Methodist Church
1849: Falkirk was the responsibility of Wallacestone Methodist Circuit. Three Falkirk foundry workers had to travel to Wallacestone and so the following year a Mr Bibb held meetings in his house in Grahams Road.
These meetings were successful and soon they rented a hall in Dalderse Avenue. When this was demolished they returned to Bibb’s house, then a hall in Russell Street, and thence to one in Bank Street.
1861: Meetings at the Corn Exchange.
1862-5: Cistern Lane Chapel used for meetings.
1873: Building on the corner of Grahams Road and Dalderse Ave.
1874: Church in Church Street, Grahamston. Schoolroom.
1876: Noted in Wallacestone Circuit Minutes of Meeting of Trustees that the Minister preach Morning and Afternoon at Wallacestone and at Falkirk at night.
1882: Population of Falkirk having risen to 18,000, Wallacestone Circuit Meeting of Trustees agreed that “Mr. Branley <Chairman of the Scotland District> be asked to look about for a suitable person to minister under the Superintendence of the Minister at Wallacestone, to the Church at Grahamstone”
1892: New church built in James Street, on the corner of Russel Street. Eleven foundation stones laid June 1892 in the former orchard of the cottage belonging to a Mrs Drysdale. Plans were submitted by Mr Black who estimated the cost at c£2,000. However, the architect chosen for the job appears to have been James Strang. The design was Gothic in style and included minister’s and manager’s vestries behind the church, which had two entrances and four exits.
1893: Old building in Church Street sold.
1895: April, five foundation stones laid for a new hall to accommodate 500 people at an estimated cost of £800.
1935: With Wallacestone and Stirling Methodist churches, part of Central Scotland Circuit.
1970s: James Street building demolished.
1894: Pulpit of pitch pine.
The centrepiece of one of the windows donated by Provost Griffiths.
MINISTERS OF FALKIRK METHODIST CHURCH
|Jun 1853||McCallum, Gilbert|
|April 1881||Taylor, Andrew Ross||1882|
|1882||Summerhill, A.J||Aug 1883|
|Watson, G. Evans|
|Cooking, John||Aug 1884|
|Sep 1885||Taylor, Thomas|
|Hayton, George||May 1896|
|Sep 1804||Swithenbank, Seth|
|Watson, Evans George||Aug 1910|
|Sep 1910||Smith, Sydney||Aug 1913|
|Sep 1921||Mathewman, John||Aug 1924|
|Sep 1924||Hines, F Leonard||Aug 1927|
|Sep 1927||Thompson, J Hartley||Apr 1929|
|May 1931||Mortimer, Harry||1937|
|1948||Barker, J H J||1950|
|1967||Foinette, Thomas J.||1974|
Additional information from University of Manchester John Ryelands University Library
G.B. Bailey & J.M. Young (2019)