Peter Kier, clockmaker and minor poet, was settled in Falkirk before 1806, as in October of that year he married Thomartha Crawford of St Andrew’s Parish, Glasgow. His shop was in 72 High Street. In Callendar’s picture of the High Street of Falkirk, Kier may be seen standing at his shop door, shading his eyes with one of his hands in order to find the hour on the steeple clock.
He died in 1834, and was buried in the Parish Churchyard on 10 December of that year, his wife dying 19 December of the following year. Their youngest daughter, Elizabeth, married Alexander Monro, writer, Falkirk, in 1836. Another daughter, Jane Willis, married George Scrimgeour Crawford, watchmaker, Falkirk. Robert Kier, son of the clockmaker, was a young man of great promise who wrote a history of Falkirk. His death in 1827 at the early age of 20 years was a great loss to local historians. Peter Kier joined the Lodge of Falkirk in 1816, but seems to have taken no further interest in its affairs.
Felix Hudson (1977, 179) also illustrates a dial by Peter Kier:
white painted dial face “Peter Kier/ MAKER FALKIRK” with drums and horns in the centres of opposite spandrels and tambourines, horns and cannon in the remaining two. The arch is captioned “Waterloo” and shows a red tunic-clad Scottish foot regiment on the left with a cannon and a wounded soldier in the foreground led by a mounted field marshal (presumably Wellington), and a green jacketed French regiment on the right. The opposing forces have the British Union flag and the French tricolour. Touches of luminous paint are found in this scene.