Carmelite Priory

Carmelite Priory(SMR 1548)

NS 8810 8096




1931: Carmelite nunnery founded at 3 Arnothill in a house built in 1855 by  Rev Lewis  Hay Irving of the Free Church of Scotland and inherited by his son John.  Dedicated to the Immaculate Conception”.

1934: Extension.

1940s: Poultry, bee-keeping and goats provided food up to the 1970s.

1955:  Further extension and the chapter room built.


1931    Mullen, Margeret


G.B. Bailey (2019)