Wallacestone Methodist Church

(SMR 832)

NS 9143 7779

Reddingmuirhead Wesleyan

Methodist Church


1842: Alexander Patrick arrived at Wallacestone in February 1842 and began his mission.  A schoolroom was procured as a meeting place and open air sessions were held at the Wallace Stone.  In the Autumn of the following year a new self-built church was opened at the foot of Wallacestone Brae beside the burn.  By 1863 a house lease was taken out for a resident minister.

Wallacestone MthCh 021108 (7)

1873: Spurred on by a bequest of £285, the congregation raised a further £100 and built a new church at Reddingmuirhead at the foot of Wallacestone Brae.   The foundation stone was laid on 27th October by James Falshaw of Edinburgh.  Mason work by Learmouth of Laurieston.  The building cost £1050.  It is a lofty building with the south gable facing the road.  The gable has ashlar masonry between corner pilasters, which have recessed panels and become rounded half way up to terminate in pinnacles.  There is an arched window on either side of the projecting central porch.  The porch too possesses a wide arched entrance with plain pilasters and a lancet widow to either side.  A bell finial finishes off the pyramidal apex of the porch. 

Above this is a spoked circular window.  A corbelled belfry on the apex of the gable has been truncated.  The rear skew is plain with an obelisk finial.  The walls are of random rubble with dressed margins.  The side walls contain four large round arched windows.  A hall is attached to the north at the east corner and protrudes from the side.

1888: Schoolroom built onto the church.

1935: Union with Falkirk and Stirling churches.

c1998: Bellcote removed.


The pipe organ was gifted in March 1895 by Miss Matilda Wickham, as a memorial to her brother, Dr Walter Wickham, Blairlodge school.  MRCVS, barrister-at-law. “On the occasion of the inauguration of the organ it was played by Mr Senior, Blairlodge, and the fine qualities of the instrument were well brought out” (The Falkirk Herald and Midland Counties Journal, December 25, 1895, page 8). Subsequently rebuilt by Albert & Smith, Leeds.


See separate entry for stained glass


See separate entry for war memorial.


1898: Wing built onto the manse.

1842Patrick, Alexander (Lay Preacher)March 1848
1851Allen, W
1851Abraham, Edward1865
1869Baylis, Edward1870
1869Waters, William1870
1871Atkins, John
1872Sargent, Alfred1874
1875Colledge, George M.1876
1876Robinson, William1877
1877Reid, George1879
1881Caine, John E.1882
1882Irwin, John1885
Sept 1885Beck, Thomas W.1888
1888Reeve, Arthur1891
1891Ward, John James1893
1894Yates, John P.1897
1897Bennet, John T.1899
1899Balch, Samuel F.1903
1904Robertson, William Proctor1906
1904Rowe, J. Ranshall1907
1910Richardson, Bertrem1913
Sept 1913Johnstone, R. J. Auglin
Crawford, John Lewis
Sept 1921Foss, H.E.
1924Bradshaw, W
1925Dickson, A
1934Jennings, L R1937
1937Lewis, T. F.
1939Pask, A.A.H.1944
1944Cook, C.E.
1945Fletcher, H.1947
1948Garment, W.E.1953
1954Proctor, L.1956
1956Wainwright, T. Haydn1966
1966Davis, W.B.
1968Hopgood, Cecil Robert1971
Sept 1971Russell, Mervyn B.Aug 1975
Sept 1975Twiddy, David G.V.Aug 1987
Sept 1987Martin, HeatherAug 1992
Sept 1992Foster, Mary LouiseAug 1997
Sept 1997Paterson, SueAug 2002
Sept 2002Ireland, Judith (Deacon)Aug 2007
Sept 2007Archer, DavidAug 2012
Sept 2012Warwick, HildaAug 2018
Sept 2018Paterson, MaryPresent

Additional information from University of Manchester John Ryelands University Library


Shieldhill Wesleyan Methodist



Blackbraes Wesleyan Methodist



G.B. Bailey & J.M. Young (2019)