NS 8933 8292
1874: The old school at Carronshore had been given to the villagers as a free gift by the Dundas family. Being unusable, it was rebuilt by Col. Dundas with £75 raised from the village. By 1874 the villagers petitioned to have it officially adopted as a church and for the missionary based there to be ordained. It was seated for 350 and they had to introduce gas at their own expense.
1883: By this date the Rev Henry Wilson had been acting as a missionary at Carronshore for 20 years. It was decided to convert the old Carronshore Public School House in what was to become Church Street and the feu was obtained for £800, which included a large piece of land to the south. Part of the old building was cleared away and new walls built. The Gothic front of the church faced north with an entrance at the NW corner utilising one of the school’s porches. The new door continued the Gothic design, the previous door being converted to a window. At the NE a new gable was built which included a belfry at the apex surmounted by an iron finial and a panel bearing the date 1882 on the face. The gable carried two large windows and an external egress. The roof was entirely renewed and an octagonal fleech or ventilator placed on the ridge. The finished building was 70ft long by 24ft wide with a height of 18ft 6ins to the coved ceiling. It was lighted by ten single- and two double-light windows. Enough room was left to the south to add a transept if required. The plans and design were by A & W Black, architects, Falkirk. The masons were Messrs J & A Reid. Internally there was a platform at the east end, raised 18ins, surrounded by a cast iron railing. At the NE end was a vestry measuring 17ft by 10ft. The church was opened Jan 1883.
1943, Dec 29: United with Bothkennar to become “Bothkennar & Carronshore Church”.
2005: Demolished and houses built on the site.
1883: Silver drinking chalice gifted.
1882: Cast by J. C. Wilson & Co, Glasgow.
Rolled “cathedral” glass in two tints, the border pains being darker.
1883: To seat 350, with another 150 in the proposed transept.
MINISTERS OF CARRONSHORE PARISH CHURCH
|Ritchie, William||Jun 1898|
G.B. Bailey (2019)