Slamannan Free Church

 NS 8687 7287 ; NS 8562 7299

1843       Slamannan Free Church                    1900

1900       Slamannan United Free Church        1929

1929       Balquhatstone Church of Scotland    1961


1843:  The entire Kirk Session of Slamannan resigned and the following year a Free Church opened near Pirnielodge on the north side of the railway adjacent to the public road.

1860:  New building started at Balquhatstone on Station Road not far from the Culloch Burn on land donated by Mrs Waddell of Balquhatstone.   Opened 4th August 1861 at a cost of £850.

1864:  New building destroyed by fire although the contents, including the seats, were saved.  Notwithstanding the disaster it was rebuilt the next year.

1876: Mission started at Longrigend, became a preaching station in 1882, and raised to a full charge in 1888.

1945: Union with the Parish Church.

1946: Last service in the church building which was thereafter used as a church hall.

1961: Building taken over by Stirling County Council, demolished and developed for housing.   A memorial plaque to Wm Eyral moved to the session house of the Parish Church.


1840s:  Manse built at the corner of New Street and Pirnielodge Road in Slamannan (NS 8568 7312).

1946: Sold being surplus to requirements.


1861: Between 500 and 600.


1847Eyval, WilliamApr 1861
Jul 1861Tuller, William1874
May 1875Reid, ArchibaldDec 1892?
Jul 1892Strathairn, GeorgeMay 1983
Oct 1898Stewart, William RobertMay 1921
Nov 1921Brackenridge, James CalderwoodJun 1925
Apr 1925Whyte, William MacKenzie1928
Aug 1928Duncan, ReginaldSep 1931
Apr 1932Martin, John RobsonApr 1938
Dec 1938Wilson, William Iain Girdwood1941
Feb 1944Moncrieff, HopeMar 1945
 Rate, E. 

Geoff B. Bailey (2016)