(SMR 295 & 296)
NT 0053 8154; NT 0066 8134
1843 Bo’ness Free Church 1900
1900 St. Andrews United Free Church 1929
1929 St. Andrews Church of Scotland
1843: At the Disruption part of the congregations from Bo’ness and Carriden left the Established Church for the Free Church movement. Meetings were held for divine worship in a sawmill at the Links, then at “Old Barns”, Grangepans, east of Man O’ War Street. Rev. Lewis Irving helped to organise the new church.
1844: Site obtained from the Duke of Hamilton on a one hundred year lease at the east of the Links at the boundary between the parishes of Bo’ness and Carriden, now known as Boundary Street. The new building cost £366 and was built on the west side of the street.
1850: An inscription placed on the south wall stated that the building had its “Walls raised and roofed anew”.
1873: The same inscription continues “Tower and wing added and reseated”. Cost £800, and the church re-opened in April.
1880s: Mission hall established in Linlithgow Road, Newtown.
1905: New church built in Grange Terrace. Designed by J N Scott and A Lorne Campbell in the perpendicular style it has Art Nouveau details. It is built in a cruciform plan of pale snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. The three stage tower lies at the north-east and contains the entrance under a square moulded head and hoodmould. It has angle buttresses at the second stage supporting Art Nouveau pedestals attached to the clasping buttresses of the third stage. This stage also has louvred belfry openings. The tower is finished with a battlemented parapet and a green copper fleche. An octagonal stair tower rises above the parapet with delicate Art Nouveau pedestals at each angle extending above the concave, conical roof. The church has wide perpendicular traceried windows in the gables.
The interior consists of a four bay nave with north gallery over the vestibule. Chamfered arcades provide aisles that merge into the transepts.
1908: The old building in Boundary Street was reconstructed by H. Cadell and used as the Grange Institute. It then became the Bo’ness United Social Club and was demolished in 2012.
1844: The first manse was designed by Rev Lewis Irving.
The later? manse was at Erngath Road, west of The Knowe.
1896: Oak pulpit supplied by Clapperton & Sons of Princes St., Edinburgh.
1926: Cost £ 1100.
See separate page for Bo’ness St. Andrews Church Windows, the first of which is a WW1 Memorial to the fallen.
See separate entry about Bo’ness St. Andrew’s WW1 Roll of Honour
MINISTERS OF BO’NESS ST. ANDREW’S
|1844||Dempster, Alex P.||Jun 1854|
|1854||Wilson, Daniel||Jan 1884|
|May 1884||Hunter, William Smith||Jun 1905|
|Nov 1905||Barnett, Thomas Ratcliffe||Jan 1914|
|Apr 1914||Falconer, Gerald Scott||Nov 1917|
|Jun 1918||Alexander, Thomas||Oct 1939|
|Apr 1940||Gibson, Alastair MacDonald||Jul 1948|
|Jan 1949||Johnston, William Bryce||Mar 1955|
|Sep 1955||MacMillan, William Boyd Robertson||Jul 1960|
|Jan 1961||Low, James Eric Stewart||Mar 1966|
|Oct 1966||Anderson, John Ferguson||Oct 1975|
|1981||Bogle, Albert Orr||Present|
G.B. Bailey (2019)