Bo’ness St. Andrews Church Windows

Bo'ness St. Andrew's 1914-18 War Memorial

 

 

 

(SMR296)

 

 

 

 

(1) A large 5-light stained glass window over the gallery in the north gable of the church.  The central light is the widest and shares the same scene as those immediately to either side depicting a seated Christ on a small grassy knoll with children at his feet and people around the sides.  He is dressed in a red robe with his left armed raised.  This represents the Sermon on the Mount and amongst the listeners is a Roman soldier.  The left-hand light has a pointed arch and shows a man in blue robes beside a diagonal wooden cross, he has a book in his left hand and his head is haloed.  His name is written below “S. Andrew” together with his symbol of the red lion.  The right-hand light contains a saint in plate armour and a yellow skirt, a sword in his right hand, identified as “Michael” with weighing scales.  The small tracery openings at the top of the window have, from left to right – alpha; a thistle; the red lion rampant of Scotland on the yellow background; a unicorn facing right; a crown over a helm over the Scottish shield; a unicorn facing left; the Scottish saltire flag; a thistle; omega.

Towards the bottom is a panel with:

“Greater love hath no man than this

ROBERT N BROWN JAMES M RHYNAS JOHN E.K. M MACKAY DAVID GRANT
ROBERT W DOTT ALEXANDER VALENTINE THOMAS MCLAREN RICHARD W. HAMILTON
ALEXANDER GRANT ANDREW WRIGHT MALCOLM PAUL THOMAS LEISHMAN
JOHN HASTINGS JOHN BUCHANAN THOMAS SIMPSON JAMES A.MCKAY
ROBERT LEISHMAN ALEXANDER GRANT WILLIAM WALLACE HUGH ORR
SAMUEL C. MCGREGOR WILLIAM C GRANT JOSIAH B. WEST JOHN ROBERTSON
MATTHEW PAUL ALEXANDER M.B. HARLEY JAMES CLARK JOHN STANLEY

In memory of members and adherents of this congregation gave their lives in the great war.”

The Falkirk Herald report of 2 August 1919 suggests that this window was made by Oscar Paterson & Co, 216 Bath Street, Glasgow, at a cost of £299.

Location: north gable.

Bo'ness St. Andrew's (2)

 

(2) A large 4-light window in the chancel was an original feature of the 1905 building.  It is in modern style with pale blue predominating.  Jesus is shown standing in red robes in the second panel from the left.  His right arm is raised and he is evidently preaching.  The other three lights reveal his audience standing in front of trees.  There is a host of winged angels above them.

Location: chancel – south gable.

 

The old church on the corner of Boundary Street had two stained glass windows installed in 1896.  It is not known what happened to them.

G.B. Bailey (2019)