SITES & MONUMENTS RECORD
|St. Helen’s United Free Church||SMR 224||NS 8308 7935|
1924 St. Helens United Free Church 1929
1929 St. Helens Church of Scotland
1897, Oct: Church missionary appointed to serve the increasing population in High Bonnybridge. Meetings held in Griffiths Hall.
1904: Mission church established in High Bonnybridge.
1908: Dennyloanhead U.F. Church built a Mission Church on land north of Church Street (opposite the site of the later church) on land gifted by James Anderson, Myrtle Cottage. Opened 14th August 1909 for a cost of £420.
1914: Church raised to status of Preaching Station.
1924: Church raised to full status.
1928: Site for a new church bought for £160.
1934: New church built on the south side of Church Street and the old building converted into the church hall. Dedicated on 26th October 1934. The exterior stone came from Braehead Quarry with Dover ashlar at the base and rough-faced rubble above. The style is Scottish Romanesque with a tower of severe Scottish type. The architect was probably Bertie Wilson. Cost £6174. Named St. Helens after the pre-Reformation chapel. Above the doorway inside the porch appears the inscription “ECCLESIA/ SANCTAE HELENAE/ 1528 + 1934”.
1950: Services started in Seabegs Hall, Roman Road.
1963: May 1st Linked with Dennyloanhead.
199? Closed and congregation amalgamated with Bonnybridge Parish Church.
1924: Built at an estimated cost of £1145.
1934: Gifted by Mr & Mrs Anderson, Dennyloanhead.
MINISTERS OF ST. HELEN’S U.F. CHURCH
|1902||Anderson, William||Oct 1908|
|May 1909||Gemmell, Stephen||Apr 1912|
|Jul 1912||Swan, John|
|Oct 1914||Swan, John||Sep 1917|
|Feb 1918||Webster, Robert||1921|
|Jan 1924||Miller, Thomas||Dec 1942|
|May 1943||Malcolmson, James Samuel||Nov 1962|
G.B. Bailey (2019)