John Galbraith was settled in Falkirk as a clockmaker in 1778, as in May of that year he gave up his name for proclamation with Margaret Kirk, and both are described in the marriage register as of Falkirk parish. She was a daughter of Alexander Kirk, changekeeper, in Falkirk, and it is just possible Galbraith was also a “Bairn.”
He is mentioned in the Church Session Records of the West Relief Church in 1785. In July 1786, he was elected a Stintmaster, representing the Hammermen, and acted as such at various terms up till June 1799. In 1796 he had the honour of being elected deacon of the Hammermen of Falkirk. He was one of a commission of feuars and portioners of Falkirk appointed to “make what agreement they shall think proper relative to the mode and manner of dividing the moor of Falkirk between Mr Forbes of Callendar and others claiming interest therein.” In 1793 he had sasine of a property that stood on the south side of the High Street; this he re-built in 1794; and there carried on his business. In 1806 Galbraith sold his property, and removed to Glasgow, where he died in January 1807, his wife surviving him. Both are buried a little to the south of the east entrance of Falkirk Parish Churchyard. Their children were Robert, born 1780, and Janet, 1782.
On 20 October 1780, John Galbraith was made an Apprentice Mason; Fellowcraft and Master, 3 November of the same year; Arch and Royal Arch Mason on 28th November 1780; Senior Warden on 27 December 1796.