Rumford RC Church

St Anthonys RC Church(SMR 1699)

NS 9338 7725

St. Anthony’s



1885:  The large Catholic population in Rumford worshipped in a hall rented by the League of the Cross.

1891:  An oblong shaped church measuring 62ft by 30ft was opened in January.  It was designed by Canon Grady.   Combining its function with that of a school it held 300 for mass, or 25 children.

1913: Rumford became a separate mission known as Polmont R.C. Church.

1919:  Bell tower commissioned by father William Grant as a memorial to the First World War.

1985:  Church moved to new premises on Maddiston Rd.  This is a square brick structure with a slated pyramidal roof with a well-finished interior – the main space being spanned by laminated timber beams.  It has stained-glass roundels, black marble altar and strongly modelled bronze Stations of the Cross by Vincent Butler.  The old building became part of a builder’s yard.


1991: Bell transferred from the old building.


1913                 Grant, William

Sep 1930          Mc Garvey, F


G.B. Bailey (2019)