NS 9323 8174
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church
1901: A corrugated iron building that belonged to the Admiralty was erected for use as a mission church (“tin kirk”) for the Falkirk Episcopalian church in Carronflats Road.
1937: Foundation stone for a new church laid on 3rd October at the junction of Carronflats Road and Ronaldshay Crescent on land granted by the Marquis of Zetland. The architect was Maxtone Craig of Edinburgh, Messrs Williamson of Grangemouth sole contractors. It opened July the following year. The stones used came from Kerse House and the slates from the miners’ rows in Standburn. Waxed oak pews and panelled ceiling. Altar of reconstructed stone with red drapings. The old church became the church hall, and was used by the scouts and other groups until 1983.
1948: Grangemouth made an independent charge.
1980: New church hall opened 21.9.1980.
2001: Double-glazed units replaced the original leaded windows.
1983: Tin kirk demolished and rectory built.
1937: Church font is made of onyx.
Celtic cross, candlestick and vases wrought by Edward Spencer.
See separate entry for stained glass.
See separate entry for War Memorial.
1901: 250 on natural oak pews.
MINISTERS OF GRANGEMOUTH EPISCOPALIAN CHURCH
|Hollands, T J||Apr 1917|
|Newell, Robert James|
|Heatlie, James W||1930s|
|Towndrow, Frank Noel|
|Wilson, J H F|
|Rodger, John||Sep 1960|
|Robson, Alan E|