John Arnot ran a private school in the 1830s on the site of the later Infant School. He appears in the Kirk Session records as a teacher in the years 1834 to 1836 and in 1838 as the controller of Customs. Arnot taught navigation, and many of his pupils became captains in the merchant service. He instructed his pupils in the use of his quadrant on the stair-head. He was highly regarded. Most pupils left around the age of ten to work. Shortly after his leaving the teaching profession the building was taken over by the Duke of Hamilton for the Infant School.
National Grid Reference
|South Street||NS 9992 8163|