Camelon RC Church

Camelon RC Church(SMR 214)

NS 8642 8056

St Mary of the Angels



1913: Mass said in Co-operative Hall, Camelon.   Temporary premises were then obtained in The Hedges.

1923: Church opened in the Hedges.

1928: Building fund started for new church.

1960-61:  New church on Glasgow Road built according to designs by Jack Coia.  AndrewCamelon RC Church (2) Macmillan was the project architect responsible for the detailed designs.  It has yellow firebrick (cream & pink colours) facings, banded outside and panel patterned inside, with a flat copper roof.  The church is rectangular with a low aisle to the west.  The north end has a deep wooden band at the eaves, with a simple cross, L-shaped glazed panel lighting and aisles.   The entrance is in blue panelled rectangle with strip glazing above.  The sides of the church have irregular rectilinear glazing at eaves level and for part of their length below that level.  On the east side 3 pairs of projecting confessionals appear externally as brick boxes.  The aisle has a narrow band of rectilinear glazing.  Copper dormer on the roof bears a cross, lights altar.  Internally the roof consists of nine laminated timber beams at approximately 2.8 m intervals carrying a pine joist and boarded ceiling.  Twin pillars, of pine square wood members coupled together, separate the 8-bay nave from the aisle.

2019: Church closed and converted to a funeral home.


A presbytery adjoins the church and shares its building materials and design features.


Carved oak front panel to font, reflect the carvings of the Stations of the Cross.  The square font itself is stone, placed diamond fashion with a pyramidal cover.  The altar and Lady Altar are of natural stone.


Coloured glass is extensively used.


Pine pews.




Aug 1930

Mellon, Edward
Crampton, Walker 1987

Aug 1987

McGarrigle, Robert

Geoff B. Bailey (2019)