NS 8878 8135
1878 Bainsford Free Church 1900
1900 Bainsford United Free Church 1929
1929 Bainsford Church of Scotland
(Bainsford Parish Church)
c1860: Falkirk Free Church started holding services in a house in Granary Square. As the numbers attending increased they moved to a barn at Inglis Land on the west side of Bainsford Main Street.
1871: Rev Aneas Rate appointed Free Church Missionary and School Master to Bainsford. North End Hall built in Mungalhead Road to serve these two purposes.
1878: Free Church congregation established from the Falkirk congregation. A feu acquired from the Trustees of William Dawson. Foundation stone laid by Sir Thomas Brodie.
1879: Church built in Hendry Street according to plans by Black in the Gothic style. The body of the church measures 44ft by 6ft internally and has six arched windows down either side between buttresses. The seventh bay being occupied by a quatrefoil window above a pointed arch door. The vestibule measures 12ft by 24ft. Cost £2,000.
1888: April. New hall opened at a cost of £200. It contained a raised platform at one end. Seat 200.
1910-14: Large hall and session house added.
1923: North End Hall gifted by Trustees of the Rev. Aeneas Rate, probationer, who held services here before the Free Church congregation was formed.
c1985: North End Hall given over for club use.
1894: Manse to be built in Mungalhead Road.
See separate entry for stained glass.
MINISTERS OF BAINSfORD CHURCH
|Paterson, Alexander||Dec 1889|
|Merrylees, Charles James Tennant||1901|
|Munro, Duncan Macrae||Jan 1907|
|Ross, Harry Macdonald||Dec 1916|
|Robertson, Thomas Bremner||Mar 1922|
|Heron, William||Sep 1931|
|McAlister, John Mitchell||Aug 1958|
|MacDougall, John||May 1974|
|Anderson, David John Boyd||1986|
|Gunn, F. Derek||Feb 1997|
|Hendrie, Brian R|
G.B. Bailey (2019)