SITES & MONUMENTS RECORD
|Dennyloanhead Church||SMR 419||NS 8100 8014|
|1746||Dennyloanhead Associate Presbyterian Church||1747|
|1747||Dennyloanhead Anti-Burgher Church||1820|
|1820||Dennyloanhead United Secession Church||1847|
|Dennyloanhead United Associate Congregation|
|1847||Dennyloanhead United Presbyterian Church||1900|
|1900||Dennyloanhead United Free Church|
|1929||Dennyloanhead Church of Scotland|
1738: At the induction of William Bennet to the Parish Church at Denny on August 22nd 117 people, elders and family heads left the Church. The people of Denny, with others from Falkirk and Cumbernauld joined the Associate Presbytery and held a meeting in a barn at Lochgreen Farm owned by their first elder William Spiers. The meeting place moved around and eventually the Erskine Church was built at Falkirk. Some meetings were still held at Bridge End of the Water of Bonny.
1743: Temporary building erected at Dennyloanhead. This was presumably the same size as the later building, ie. 60 ft by 45 ft. An internal scarcement in the later building probably denotes the original height of the walls. A plan of c1780 shows the meeting house at Loanhead as a 2-storey building, but also places it to the SE of the site of the known church (RHP 704).
1746: Branch of the Erskine Church formed at Dennyloanhead.
1751: First minister appointed.
1815: Church enlarged by raising the wall heads and inserting three tall lancet windows, then adding a gallery on three sides. Rendered externally. A panel, set high up in the middle of the south wall is inscribed “1743/ REBUILT/ 1815”. There is a moulded eaves-course returned on the gables; plain tabling; with a bell-cote on the west gable and a finial on the other gable.
1888: New roof and panelled ceiling, cost £200.
1893: New memorial hall opened, the gift of Mrs Air, Broughty Ferry, and Miss Bain, Burnhead. It was built on the west side of the church to accommodate nearly 300 people at a cost of £800. The architect was J C Edmiston, Glasgow, and the builders were Mackie and Greg, also of Glasgow. The memorial stone reads: “Muirhead Memorial Hall. Family connection from 1765 to 1892. Erected 1893.”
1904: Central heating installed.
1923: Electric light installed.
1932: Extensive internal alterations. Two side galleries removed leaving only the gallery on the west wall. Chancel constructed at the east end; pulpit transferred from the south wall to the north side of the entrance to the new chancel; between the hall and the church a new session room, annexe, kitchen etc. The date 1932 now appears above the door. The bell tower dates to this period.
1963: May 1st Linkage with St. Helens Church, High Bonnybridge.
1964: Extensive repair work needed due to dry rot and woodworm infestation.
1978: Link with St. Helen’s Church severed and new link formed with Haggs.
1990: Nov. Link with Haggs dissolved.
1991: Church closed.
1753: Two pewter communion chalices.
1929: Oak communion table gifted by the family of James Brand, Towerfield.
1912: Cost £20.
See separate entry for stained glass.
1932: Horseshoe gallery replaced by an end gallery.
1871: Few burials after this date.
1964: Landscaped and levelled.
MINISTERS OF DENNYLOANHEAD CHURCH
|Jul 1751||Walker, John||1797|
|Aug 1797||Stark, James||May 1850|
|Nov 1850||Stevenson, James||May 1866|
|Feb 1867||Jerdan, Charles||Dec 1878|
|Jul 1879||Keir, David||Nov 1922|
|1923||Walker, Frederic Sydney Mess||Nov 1925|
|May 1926||Cox, Thomas Loudon||1930|
|Sep 1930||Lovie, Peter||Feb 1937|
|Jun 1937||Thomson, Alfred Edwin Moir||May 1953|
|Oct 1953||Keiller, James Dennis||Mar 1961|
|May 1961||Barrow, Peter||Mar 1972|
|Sep 1972||Watson, John||1978|
|Jul 1978||Holland, John||1982|
|1983||Dean, Roger A.F||1990|
G.B. Bailey (2019)