St Helen’s United Free Church

St Helen's UF Church

(SMR 224)

NS 8308 7935

 

 

 

1924    St. Helens United Free Church          1929

1929    St. Helens Church of Scotland

TIMELINE   

1897, Oct:   Church missionary appointed to serve the increasing population in High Bonnybridge.  Meetings held in Griffiths Hall.

1904: Mission church established in High Bonnybridge.

1908: Dennyloanhead U.F.  Church built a Mission Church on land north of Church Street (opposite the site of the later church) on land gifted by James Ander­son, Myrtle Cottage.  Opened 14th August 1909 for a cost of £420.

1914:  Church raised to status of Preaching Station.

1924: Church raised to full status.

1928: Site for a new church bought for £160.

1934:  New church built on the south side of Church Street and the old building converted into the church hall.   Dedicated on 26th October 1934.  The exterior stone came from Braehead Quarry with Dover ashlar at the base and rough-faced rubble above.  The style is Scottish Romanesque with a tower of severe Scottish type.  The architect was probably Bertie Wilson.  Cost £6174.  Named St. Helens after the pre-Reformation chapel.   Above the doorway inside the porch appears the inscription “ECCLESIA/ SANCTAE HELENAE/ 1528 + 1934”.

1950: Services started in Seabegs Hall, Roman Road.

1963: May 1st Linked with Dennyloanhead.

199?  Closed and congregation amalgamated with Bonnybridge Parish Church.

MANSE

1924: Built at an estimated cost of £1145.

1960s: Sold.

BELL

1934: Gifted by Mr & Mrs Anderson, Dennyloanhead.

SEATING

1908: 220.

1934: 522.

MINISTERS OF ST. HELENS U.F. CHURCH

Oct 1897

Ralston

1902

Anderson, William Oct 1908

May 1909

Gemmell, Stephen Apr 1912

Jul 1912

Swan, John

Oct 1914

Swan, John Sep 1917

Feb 1918

Webster, Robert 1921

1921

Miller, Thomas

Jan 1924

Miller, Thomas Dec 1942

May 1943

Malcolmson, James Samuel Nov 1962

1978

Watson, John

G.B. Bailey (2019)