Deanburn Primary School was built in 1969/73 to serve the new housing being built on the south-western suburbs of Bo’ness. It stands on the top of the ridge with magnificent views along the Forth and the steep-sided valley of the Dean Burn to its east. Designed by Lane, Bremner & Garnett, it consisted of a series of single-storey flat-roofed pavilions with concrete panel plinths, brown brick walls and wooden fascias with monopitched roof-lights providing vertical emphasis.
During work on the school roof in 2002 a fire broke out in the kitchen area. Fanned by winds of up to 100mph it soon spread and a sizeable section of the school was devastated. The 2005 replacement for the main block integrated a number of sustainable elements, including a rainwater harvesting system, “breathing walls” using recycled newspaper as insulation, and energy generation through its own wind turbine. A weather station added another dimension to the learning process. The work was undertaken by Marshall, Morison & Associates with Enconsult Engineers and cost in the region of £3 million.
|Date Arrived||Headteacher||Date Left||No. Pupils|
|Mrs C Fraser||Present|
Sites and Monuments Record
|Hazeldean Avenue||SMR 1633||NS 9893 8022|