This school was located on the south west side of Providence Lane near the western end of South Street. It was described in 1855 by the Ordnance Surveyors as :
“A large house one storey high and in good repair. Tenanted by Mrs Paul, the school mistress. The property of Mrs Meikle. It is large enough to afford accommodation for 150, the average number of attendant about 100. The scholars are of both sexes. The branches taught are those usually taught in country schools. The school mistress has merely the school fees for her salary.”
In 1870 Mrs Paul and her daughter moved the short distance to the Anderson Academy where they successfully taught for many years.
Sites and Monuments Record
|Providence Lane||SMR 2288||NS 9975 8157|