St Margaret’s Primary School was built in the 1970s and replaced Polmont Public School and the junior classes at Redding School. While the school was being built the pupils went to a building at Greenpark, Polmont, which is now part of the Greenpark Community Centre. The name, St Margaret’s, was taken from a previous private girls’ school that lay a little to the east (see Meadowbank and St Margaret’s School). The primary school was designed by Central Regional Council Architectural Services in 1977. The buildings consist of a series of single-storey white rendered brick blocks with steep-sided slate-clad attics arranged around two small quadrangles.
A large hall was constructed in the north-east angle of the school in 2005. It dominates the complex by its height and grey-clad walls, the north wall being composed of glass panels set at an acute angle to the ground and “propped” up with large steel rods.
Sites and Monuments Record
|Salmon Inn Road||SMR 1678||NS 9259 7843|