Wallacestone Methodist Church

Wallacestone Methodist Church
Oil painting of First Wesleyan Methodist Church at Westquarter Burn, Reddingmuirhead by A.J. Bennie

(SMR 832)

NS 9143 7779

Reddingmuirhead Wesleyan

Methodist Church

TIMELINE

1842: Alexander Patrick arrived at Wallacestone in February 1842 and began his mission.  A schoolroom was procured as a meeting place and open air sessions were held at the Wallace Stone.  In the Autumn of the following year a new self-built church was opened at the foot of Wallacestone Brae beside the burn.  By 1863 a house lease was taken out for a resident minister.

1873: Spurred on by a bequest of £285, the congregation raised a further £100 and built aWallacestone MthCh 021108 (7) new church at Reddingmuirhead at the foot of Wallacestone Brae.   The foundation stone was laid on 27th October by James Falshaw of Edinburgh.  Mason work by Learmouth of Laurieston.  The building cost £1050.  It is a lofty building with the south gable facing the road.  The gable has ashlar masonry between corner pilasters, which have recessed panels and become rounded half way up to terminate in pinnacles.  There is an arched window on either side of the projecting central porch.  The porch too possesses a wide arched entrance with plain pilasters and a lancet widow to either side.  A bell finial finishes off the pyramidal apex of the porch.  Above this is a spoked circular window.  A corbelled belfry on the apex of the gable has been truncated.  The rear skew is plain with an obelisk finial.  The walls are of random rubble with dressed margins.  The side walls contain four large round arched windows.  A hall is attached to the north at the east corner and protrudes from the side.

1888: Schoolroom built onto the church.

1935: Union with Falkirk and Stirling churches.

c1998: Bellcote removed.

ORGAN

The pipe organ was gifted in March 1895 by Miss Matilda Wickham, as a memorial to her brother, Dr Walter Wickham, Blairlodge school.  MRCVS, barrister-at-law. “On the occasion of the inauguration of the organ it was played by Mr Senior, Blairlodge, and the fine qualities of the instrument were well brought out” (The Falkirk Herald and Midland Counties Journal, December 25, 1895, page 8)

WAR MEMORIAL

See separate entry for war memorial.

MANSE

1898: Wing built onto the manse.

MINISTERS OF WALLACESTONE METHODIST CHURCH

1842

Patrick, Alexander Mar 1848
  Abraham, Edward 1865

1869

Baylis, Edward 1870

1869

Waters, William 1870

1871

Atkins, John  

1872

Sargent, Alfred 1874

Sep 1875

Colledge, George M. 1876

Sep 1876

Robinson, William 1877

1877

Reid, George 1879

1881

Caine, John E. 1882

Sep 1882

Irwin, John Aug 1885

Sep 1885

Beck, Thomas W. 1888

1888

Reeve, Arthur 1891

1891

Ward, John James 1893

1894

Yates, John P. 1897

1897

Bennet, John T. 1899

1899

Balch, Samuel F. 1903

1904

Robertson, William Proctor 1906

Sep 1904

Rowe, J. Ranshall 1907

Sep 1910

Richardson, Bertrem Aug 1913

Sep 1913

Johnstone, R. J. Auglin  
  Crawford, John Lewis  

Sep 1921

Foss, H.E.  

1956

Wainwright, T. Haydn 1966

1966

Davis, W.B.  

1968

Hopgood, Cecil Robert Aug 1971

Sep 1971

Russell, Mervyn B. Aug 1975

Sep 1975

Twiddy, David G.V. Aug 1987

Sep 1987

Martin, Heather Aug 1992

Sep 1992

Foster, M. Louise Aug 1997

Sep 1997

Paterson, Sue Aug 2002

Sep 2002

Judith (Deacon) Aug 2007

Sep 2007

Archer, David Aug 2012

Sep 2012

Warwick, Hilda Aug 2018

Sep 2018

Paterson, Mary Present

Additional information from University of Manchester John Ryelands University Library

*********************************************************************************

Shieldhill Wesleyan Methodist

1902

*********************************************************************************

Blackbraes Wesleyan Methodist

1910

*********************************************************************************

G.B. Bailey & J.M. Young (2019)