NS 9338 7725
1885: The large Catholic population in Rumford worshipped in a hall rented by the League of the Cross.
1891: An oblong shaped church measuring 62ft by 30ft was opened in January. It was designed by Canon Grady. Combining its function with that of a school it held 300 for mass, or 25 children.
1913: Rumford became a separate mission known as Polmont R.C. Church.
1919: Bell tower commissioned by father William Grant as a memorial to the First World War.
1985: Church moved to new premises on Maddiston Rd. This is a square brick structure with a slated pyramidal roof with a well-finished interior – the main space being spanned by laminated timber beams. It has stained-glass roundels, black marble altar and strongly modelled bronze Stations of the Cross by Vincent Butler. The old building became part of a builder’s yard.
1991: Bell transferred from the old building.
PRIESTS OF ST ANTHONY’S CHAPEL
1913 Grant, William
Sep 1930 Mc Garvey, F
G.B. Bailey (2019)