The earliest recovered record for Skaithmuir Mill is for the 20 November 1588 when John Livingston of Dunypace received a charter under the Great Seal of Scotland of several lands including the lands of Skaithmuir with the mill (Register of the Great Seal,v,1595).
In 1749 they were sold by George Drummond of Blair Drummond to Thomas Dundas of Fingask and continued to be let out. In 1800 estimates were obtained for the addition of a barley mill. In 1860 it was described as:
“A small corn mill, with dwelling house and offices attached, all one storey slated and in good repair. Machinery propelled by water. Water wheel, 8 horse power.”(Ordnance Survey Name Book).
The mill seems to have gone out of use before the end of the 19th century. The main building was converted for use by a blacksmith and farrier in 1914 and was renamed Roughlands Forge. Two generations of James Miller operated it until 1980. By 1930 a large wooden shed in the yard was being used by Daniel Thomson to repair and construct caravans. The Second World War gave Thomson (Carron) Ltd the opportunity to expand to new premises.
A detailed account of the building may be found separately (link).
Sites and Monuments Record
|Skaithmuir Mill||SMR 655||NS 8850 8323|