This mill began life as a lint mill and was in existence by 1752. Consequently, it appears on Roy’s map on the south bank of the Bonny Water a little to the east of Bonnybridge.
It was probably relatively fresh at that time and in 1767 it appears as “new Mill”. It was converted to serve as a barley mill and by 1851, when William Hay was the miller, it was simply known as “Barley Mill.” Reid calls it “Gateside Mill” and Waugh “Thornton Mill” but these appear to be made up names. Some time before 1860 it was adapted to run a sawmill using a water-powered circular saw for A & G Paterson, timber merchants. The 1860 Ordnance Survey map shows it as two components – the sawmilling and the farm called Barleymill. The accompanying place name information states that Barleymill was a
“Farmsteading, one storey, slated and in good repair. There is a sawmill attached. Property of Mrs Strachan, 49 Melville St, Edinburgh.”
Thomas Hay retired from the farm and mill in 1864 and a displenishing sale was held. He then had the misfortune of dying in a carriage accident near Perth in July 1866. His son, John, moved to Planting Mill in Denny and sublet the house at Barley Mill. Shortly afterwards it was acquired by George Paterson who replaced the dwelling with Thornton House (SMR 2026).
Sites and Monuments Record
|Barley Mill (Gateside/Thornton)||SMR 1191||NS 8290 8072|