In 1800 John Reid, son of James Reid of Bonnymill, purchased part of Fankerton called Tamaree Park. The following year he and William Moreland of Herbertshire and Archibald Napier of Randolphill entered into an agreement to build a dam dyke across the River Carron above Tamaree. The agreement was recorded in the Register of Deeds on 10 September 1802. It meant cutting a channel or “canal” 5ft wide and 2½ ft deep to deliver water with a height or fall of at least 10ft above the surface level of Herbertshire Mill.
“the said parties shall have full power and liberty to erect such mills as they shall think proper upon the sides of the said canal each of them within his own property”(Inveresk plc 2000, 25).
Each of the partners was to pay for his own section of the canal and to be responsible for its maintenance.
By 1804 Tamaree Park contained
“the milns, kilns, miln damb, and aqueduct thereon“.
Tamaree Mill was for grinding oats and by 1841 also prepared pot-barley (New Statistical Account). Just over a decade later the Ordnance Surveyors describe it as
“A dwellinghouse and flour mill, both one storey, slated and in good repair. Property of Robert Weir Esq, Randolphill.”
Weir also owned Herbertshire Mill to the east and so his acquisition of Tamaree ensured the water supply and secured the lade.
In 1861 the flour, corn and barley mill of Tamaree was put up to let and from the newspaper advertisement we glean more details, it consisted:
“of two pair of Flour Stones, two pair for grinding Corn, a Patent Dressing Machine, a Shelling or Smut Mill, and a Barley Mill.
The Machinery is driven by a Water-wheel 18 feet high and 5 feet wide, with a fall of about 15 ½ feet, and has the command of the whole of the river Carron, which affords a good supply of water at LL SEASONS. The greater part of the Mill was rebuilt last year and large New Granaries added, having an abundance of Storage.
There are also a piece of ground and a good Dwelling House; also Stable, Shed, &c. close to the Mill.” .(Falkirk Herald 11 July 1861, 1)
In 1863 the corn mill was leased to RD Laing who,
“having employed a miller highly recommended for his qualifications, intends to carry on the business of milling and gristing in all the departments thereof, and trusts, by diligence and pointed attention to business, to merit the patronage of his friends and the trade“(Falkirk Herald 11 June 1863).
He was not there for long. When Weir died the mill was put up for sale and at that time was occupied by Joseph Baillie:
“TAMAREE MEAL MILL, with machinery and Plant therein, and Kiln and Lofts attached thereto; also, the DWELLING HOUSE, BYRE and SHED; also, the PASTURE FIELD to the West of the Mill”(Stirling Observer 1 August 1867, 1).
The 1881 Census shows William Webster, millwright and engineer, living at Tamaree. This, however, was the cottage rather than the mill. The complex was demolished between 1865 and 1890 to make way for new water control features associated with Carrongrove Paper Mill.
Sites and Monuments Record
|Tamaree Mill||SMR 1221||NS 7922 8316|