Sites & Monuments Records
|Howgate, Falkirk||NS 889 798|
1839: Robert Adam set up business in Falkirk as a lock and hinge maker. He lived in the Back Row, and presumably this was where he worked.
c1857: Moved to the Howgate, now employing 4 men and 4 apprentices as locksmiths.
1862: Robert Adam died and his eldest son, Alexander took over the business. Over the following years he developed it as a safe-making works. He also manufactured nails and bolts and became an iron and steel merchant. It is probable that there was a small furnace for casting brass hinges and lock plates, but most of the work was of an engineering nature.
1898: Alexander Adam died and his sons, Alexander and John, continued to run the firm.
1910: The works referred to as Adam’s Foundry.
1930s: Commenced production of steel office furniture such as filing cabinets and desks. Won contracts with the new Zealand Government Railways.
1943: Alexander died and John retired. Neither had married and there were no heirs to take over, so the business was closed.