Sites & Monuments Record
|Commissioner Street||NT 000 817|
|Steele, Miller & Co||1836 –|
|Bo’ness Foundry Co||– 1936|
|Bo’ness Iron Co Ltd||1936 –|
1836: About this year Messrs Steele, Miller & Co started a foundry adjacent to the west side of Bo’ness Pottery. Robert Steele was a traveller for the Shotts Iron Co, Miller was a moulder to trade. They were assisted in the practical work by James Shaw. The firm became known as the Bo’ness Foundry Co. Pig iron was obtained from Shotts.
Steele extended the yard by building a wall to dam back the sea.
1889: The site in East Street, owned by Mrs Henderson, was put up for sale.
1899: A scheme to form a new company called the Bo’ness Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd which incorporated Steele, Miller & Co failed to raise sufficient capital from the sale of shares, and the company continued on its own.
1936: Bo’ness Foundry Co assimilated into the Bo’ness Iron Co Ltd.