Sites & Monuments Record
|Broomridge Farm, Dennyloanhead||SMR 541||NS 808 800|
1930s: Samuel Longbotham made aluminium castings in a small Nissen hut near Broomridge Farm. He had been a pattern plate moulder in Smith & Wellstood.
1947: Went into partnership with Hugh Dyer, a moulder who had started with Cruikshank’s of Denny and had been a partner with James Wright at A. & S. McIntyres for a short time. Dyer left McIntyre’s because he wanted to make engineering castings as opposed to sash weights and cisterns. Longbotham and Dyer gradually moved into cast iron as their plant expanded. To cope with these heavier castings they had a building, 110ft by 30ft, constructed above their Nissen hut, which was still used until the new building was completed. This gave them a capacity of 3cwt in grey iron engineering castings.
1953: Andrew Longbotham, Sam’s brother joined as a partner. He was a patternmaker to trade. In 1957 the partners were Hugh Dyer, Andrew Longbotham and Elizabeth Longbotham.
1976: Closed in March by the Factory Inspectorate as a result of a lack of dust extraction (est. cost £20,000).
At the peak of production the company employed 30 men, and 23 in 1976.
There were 4 moulders, 1 dresser and 2 men working the furnaces.