Steven & Co
Steven & Wallace
Paul & MacLachlan
Sites & Monument Record
|Dryburgh, Denny||SMR 1057||NS 810 825|
1857: Established by John Steven a local foundryman with Mr Wyper as foreman.
1883: Steven’s original site became too small and so the company moved to a new location where their buildings covered an acre of ground. There were two large cupolas, heavy cranes, etc. The railway sidings extended for 420 ft within the works. A steam hoist was fitted by Blackadder Brothers of Falkirk. New works officially opened in July.
John Bryson Wallace became a partner.
1889: The old buildings stood empty for a period without a tenant. In 1889 the old site was bought by John Scott, millwright and engineer, Dunipace, for the upset price of £675, and new buildings erected.
1897: Taken over by Paul and MacLachlan who had just sold the newly established works at Comelybank Foundry. 1 acre 22 poles, 6 steel furnaces and 2 annealing furnaces – “buildings of recent construction”.
1899: Shown on Ordnance Survey map as disused.
1901: Paul left to establish Duncarron Foundry and the partnership was dissolved.
1902: MacLachlan, Dryburgh Villa, bought the foundry for £3,000 and became the managing director. William Bulloch became a partner. When he died MacLachlan and his two sons continued on their own.
1911: The firm became a limited liability company.
1932: William MacLachlan died.
1940: Marine, sugar and general engineer’s castings.
1945: James Nicholson of Denny Foundry became managing director.
1954: Nicholson died.