- Falkirk Iron Co
- HE Hoole & Co
- McDowell, Steven & Co
Sites & Monuments Record
|Bankside, Bainsford||SMR 663||NS 890 814|
1854: Erected by the Falkirk Iron Co to produce munitions for the Crimean War. The Auld Foundry became known as the High Works. In 1856 Castlelaurie Foundry was temporarily closed due to lack of work at the end of the war. It then became the main centre of production of the famous three-legged pots with FALKIRK on the side.
1929: As a result of reorganisation by Allied Ironfounders, the Sheffield firm of HE Hoole & Co was slotted into Castlelaurie as a department of Falkirk Iron Co. With the firm came some of the 1850s designs by Alfred Stevens.
1931-33: Works lay idle whilst new plant installed and McDowell, Steven and Co from Laurieston Foundry took over in 1934. By this time both McDowell Steven & Co and the Falkirk Iron Co were members of Allied Ironfounders.
1950: Pipe-testing shed and moulding shop re-roofed at a cost of c£4,350.
1958: Works closed on 13th March, due particularly to a collapse in the export markets.
1960: Works modernised due to increase demand for rainwater and soil goods.