Crosthwaite, Ure & Co 1854-1860
RW Crosthwaite 1860-1878
Sites & Monuments Record
|Lock 16, Camelon||NS 867 799|
1854: Built on the south side of the Forth and Clyde Canal across the road from the Camelon Iron Works by RW Crosthwaite and George Ure. First cast on 22nd September. A crane was built on the canal bank. Between 1855 and 1860 this foundry made all Smith and Wellstood’s stoves.
1860: George Ure moved to Bonnybridge.
Crosthwaite’s son, Henry, took control of the company for a while and was manager from 1861 to 1872 when he left for Stockton. (He later returned to the Forthbank Foundry).
1878: Works moved to Thornaby-on-Tees to become known as RW Crosthwaite Ltd. The company’s interests were looked after by the Gael Foundry.
1880: Advertised for sale in March with an upset price of £2,500. Leased for use as a chemical works by Messrs Gordon.
1886: Site of “Old Gael Foundry” still owned by Robert and John Crosthwaite of the Union Foundry, Stockton-on-Tees. John R Crosthwaite died in May 1914.
1896: After standing empty for a few years it was bought by Walker, Hunter and Company and incorporated into Portdownie Ironworks.