Burnbank Foundry Trades School

In 1937 the Burnbank Foundry, known locally as Wright’s Foundry, on the north bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal, was taken over by Federated Foundries Ltd as part of its programme of consolidation and the foundry was closed in 1939.  In 1947 Burnbank Foundry was bought by the Stirling Education Committee for use as a Trades School.  It cost £7,000 of which £5,000 was contributed by the local iron foundries on the condition that it was to be known as “The Foundry Trades School.”  Equipment from the Falkirk Technical School was transferred to it, enabling the model foundry there to be converted into classrooms.  It was 1953 before the new centre was open for business, taking day-release apprentices.  It then also took in other trades such as the electrical and mechanical engineering sector.   This was subsequently extended to cover training for the chemical and oil industries.

With the opening of Falkirk College in January 1963 the staff and facilities were moved there and Burnbank closed.

1947Nick Curry500

Sites and Monuments Record

BainsfordSMR 688NS 887 812

G.B. Bailey, 2023