Carron Public School

In June 1898 the tenants of Nailer Row in Carron were asked to vacate their homes to allow for site clearance for a new school for the Larbert School Board.  This was formally opened on 25 September 1900 and was designed by McLuckie and Walker, architects, Stirling, in a plain Jacobean style made imposing by its sheer mass.  It is a two-storey building with classrooms ranged around a central hall and was intended to accommodate 754 scholars.  There were independent entrances for senior and junior boys and girls.  The juniors occupied the whole lower floor and the seniors the upper.  Each floor had entrances to the classrooms from the central hall, and cloakroom and lavatory accommodation.  The main infant room occupied the whole side of the school furthest from the road and could accommodate 230 children but was divided by glazed sliding partitions into three sections or classrooms. 

Two other classrooms lay at the front of the school.  On the upper floor were five large classrooms; three of which were likewise divided by glazed sliding partitions, and a cookery room.  The contractors were: builder – JJ & P McLachlan of Stenhousemuir; joiners – J & A Main of Falkirk; slaters – Drummond & Crow of Laurieston; plasterer – D McNair of Falkirk; plumber – William Forrester; painter – Duncan Campbell.  They were also responsible for the contemporary schoolhouse in the same Jacobean style adjacent to the school.

Soon after its opening, the school convenor, Stuart Thorpe, presented the school with a breastplate which had been found on the battlefield at Waterloo in order to increase the pupils’ awareness of history.

Illus 2 : Carron School in 2022.
Illus 3: Detail of the façade facing Alloa Road with “LARBERT SCHOOL BOARD” in a large central panel and “built/ AD/ 1899” below.


During the Second World War the building was requisitioned and a Polish regiment moved in.  The pupils and teachers moved to Carronshore School for the duration.  It was de-requisitioned in December 1945 and the pupils returned.  In 1947 the children formerly enrolled in the Secondary Department (post qualifying classes) of Carron School reported to Carronshore Public School.


In the early 1970s a new wing was added to the south of the old block.  The building is still in use (2022) as the Carron Primary School.

1900Richard Whyte1906 (d. 1908)513
1907Mr D K Chalmers (acting)1907560
1908Alex Baird1924555
1924John Mowat1933355
1933George Lindsay1941
1945Robert Cockburn1951
1951John Campbell

Sites and Monuments Record

Alloa RoadSMR 1236NS 8834 8299

G.B. Bailey, 2023