This fountain was erected near to the entrance of the Public Park in Grangemouth (now Zetland Park) in 1882 and moved a little to the south in the early 1920s when the park was extended and the war memorial built. At that time it was surrounded by a cast iron fence.
A medallion struck for the initial installation reads, obverse: “TO COMMEMORATE THE PRESENTATION OF PUBLIC PARK BY THE RIGHT HONORABLE THE EARL OF ZETLAND AND OPENING OF NEW DOCKS BY J.C. BOLTON ESQ. M.P. GRANGEMOUTH 3RD JUNE 1882” and reverse: “FOUNTAIN IN PUBLIC PARK A GIFT FROM HUGH MACPHERSON CHIEF MAGISTRATE 1882”
The fountain takes the form of a large circular cast iron trough set on a stone base with a central pedestal. The base has four courses of ashlar masonry above a chamfered plinth course. Two steps at opposite ends provide access to small cast iron side bowls raised in fretted arched frames with scrolled feet mounted on the rim of the trough.
Four cast iron winged angels kneel at the base of the central pedestal with their arms clasped over their bosoms. Each has two mermaid-like tails. The pedestal has two trumpet-like flower offsets and then a large open bowl with a beaded rim and intermittent leaves. Originally a further tier above this supported another large bowl and a figurine, but these were lost. The ironwork was painted in black with gold highlights in the 1990s, before which it was pale blue with the figures painted flesh and green. In 2021 a project to restore the fountain was completed and a copy of the statue restored. The new figurine was remodelled by Derek Cunningham from photographs.
(SMR 1732) 9294 8162