The area of this well has changed considerably in the late 19th century. In 1868 Gillespie was still able to say :
“The Minister’s Well, which is still to be found in a circular recess at the foot of the old glebe, has associations even more sacred in its history, having been the consecrated fountain from which the monks of the eleventh century drew their supplies of “pure water”(Gillespie 1868, 15).
Some early 20th century publications refer to it as the Monks Well and Rev J.B. Johnston as St Modan’s Well. In 1844 the Free Church erected its place of worship here. That area, known as the Garrison, was described shortly afterwards as consisting of
“three or four country-like cottages facing a high hedge and the glebe meadows while a tall elm tree stood over St Modan’s Well just in front of the door of the church”(Scott 1993, 96).
In the late 19th century the meadows were built over to form the Glebe Street and Melville Street.
(NS 8876 8040)