Falkirk Golf Course at Carmuirs was laid out by Peter Robertson in 1922 on part of Callendar estate known as Meg Allan’s Bog. The site covered 100 acres and was duly drained. The first phase of ten holes was opened in June 1922 and J G Callander prepared plans for a clubhouse. The situation chosen was at the first hole facing in the Larbert direction. It is a single storey building of roughcast brick construction, 60ft long and 40ft wide, with a green slated roof and originally consisted of a gent’s room and a ladies’ room fitted with lockers and placed to either side of a large club room, with the necessary lavatory accommodation. The club room had a bay window. Ample space was provided for the serving of luncheon and teas. A covered veranda extended along the whole front giving splendid views of the course. Attached to the clubhouse was the green-keeper’s house consisting of two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom and a scullery. Cycles could be stored underneath the building and there was provision was for car parking. The estimated cost of the whole was £1,550, though the actual cost was closer to £2,000. It opened on 2 April 1924.
Contractors – brick work – John Gardner; joiner work – J C Gilchrist; slater work – Drummond & Crowe; plumber work – Turner & Rowley; plaster work – D McNair; lath work – W Harley; glazier work – D O’May.