SMR 203 / NS 9558 7696
Muiravonside was originally in the parish of Falkirk. Haining Castle contained its own private chapel on the second floor. The castle appears to date to the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century and it is possible that at this early date the Crawford family’s priest ministered to some of the local people, for as a result of a petition by Rankin de Crawford in 1454 a papal mandate directed the Bishop of Dunblane to grant to the inhabitants of Manuel the right to elect a clerk-minister to help the chaplain and priest who celebrated divine offices in the church or chapel. The church or chapel was said to have had cemetery, baptistery, chrism vase, burial place, and a priest from time immemorial. Cemetery, or the right to burial, may indeed go back a long way because long cist inhumations were found near the castle in 1873 (SMR 2212). The relative positions of the castle and the later church suggests that the building referred to in 1454 also lay close to the castle, as would be normal at that date, and is not therefore a reference to the “Popish Chapel at Ballenbreich”.
In 1641 Lord Livingstone held patronage of Muiravonside Church, which was still a pendicle of Falkirk. Then, on 10 June 1648 Muiravonside disjoined from Falkirk Parish, the Act stating that “albeit it has been distinctly and separately served by a Minister above 60 years gone” it had been a pendicle of Falkirk. This confusion appears to have been common and even the presbytery record of 1606 is said to have treated it as a distinct charge. At some time in the seventeenth century the church became known as Almond Church, the Castle also passing under this name having taken the title from Lord Livingstone. The old church building at Manuel Nunnery seems to have been adapted for use as a parish church.

The 17th century church stood on the same spot as the existing one. A plan of 1796 shows it before the construction of the Union Canal (which has been added to the plan in pencil) and indicates that it occupied much the same footprint. The early churchyard was evidently oval in shape suggesting a much earlier origin for it.

Over the west gable is a large corbelled out bellcote with rectangular uprights and ball finials. The pulpit was in the centre of the south wall facing a horse-shoe gallery wrapped around the other three walls. The doors in the gables opened onto internal stairs to the gallery, and a door in the south wall, just to the west of the pulpit, was for the minister.
The present church and manse were built in 1804-6. The church is a typical Hall-style building, rectangular in plan with a lofty ceiling. There was a doorway in the centre of both the west and east gables with four tall pointed windows subdivided by wooden mullions and transoms and glazed with diamond panes in the long side walls. The window margins are backset, and the rendered east and west end walls were at one time scored to resemble ashlar.



The session house was on the north side of the entrance gate to the churchyard. In 1822 the Union Canal was constructed immediately to the west of the church. A bridge was provided a little to the north for those attending religious services and was called the Kirk Bridge

Over the years a number of stained glass windows were inserted and information on these will be found under Stained Glass.
In 1947 it was found that woodworm and dry-rot had taken a hold in the building and fundraising efforts were begun to treat them. The opportunity was taken to make internal alterations to re-orientate the layout. The pulpit was moved from the south wall to the west wall, and a central aisle was placed along the west/east axis. The west door was blocked and the chancel now occupied the west end. The horseshoe lefts were removed and replaced by a broad loftd at the east end. A new vestibule was added outside the east gable to contain the stair to the loft; with a vestry and a session house to either side of it. It was 1951 before building work began and the end of 1955 before it was re-consecrated. The work cost a little under £10,000. The old session house was subsequently demolished and the cross that had been mounted on it was placed on the east gable of the church.



MANSE
1806: Built to the south-east of the church.
1987: Manse sold and a new dwelling erected adjacent to Cairney Mount Church.
ORGAN
1912: Double manual Trayser harmonium gifted by Mrs Brown of Vellore.
1980: Omegan electronic organ.
BELL
The bell is about 18 ins in diameter and is inscribed: “FOR THE KIRK OF MUIRAVONSIDE IOHN MEIKLE ME FECIT/ EDINBIRGI 1699”.
A hand bell with an iron grip handle measuring 5 ins in height, 6 ins in diameter at the lip, is cracked and perforated. It reads: “IOHN MEIKL FECIT EDR 1690”.
FITTINGS
1676: Silver communion cups presented by the Earl of Callendar and Lord Almond to the church of Almond and Rev. Andrew Urie. “Hoc potulum as ecclesiam de Almond pertinent.”
1911: Two silver communion cups gifted by William Brown of Vellore, inscribed: “MUIRAVONSIDE PARISH CHURCH”.

WINDOWS
See separate entry for stained glass.
SEATING
1806: Pulpit in the centre of the south wall with pews on three sides and a semi-circular gallery.
1947: Re-arranged due to woodworm and dry rot. Main axis changed to east/west, with the chancel furnishings placed on a raised platform against the west gable. Seating for 400.
CHURCHYARD
A cemetery and burial place are mentioned in the Papal communication of 1454. The earliest stone in the present cemetery that surrounds the church is 1705. An extension to the churchyard has been made to the east.
MINISTERS OF MUIRAVONSIDE PARISH CHURCH
1591 Kerr, William 1597
1598 Monipenny, Patrick 1610
1612 Thomson, Robert Oct 1615
1616 Halley, Robert 1626
Apr 1627 Cornwall, Alexander 1641
Aug 1642 Bruce, John 1672
Oct 1655 Blair, Hew {helper} 1661
Jul 1667 Urie, Andrew 1689
Aug 1691 Campbell, Donald Dec 1693
May 1696 Bennet, Andrew Aug 1720
Aug 1721 Boyd, Robert Jan 1768
Jun 1768 Bertram, John Dec 1802
Sep 1803 MacCall, William Dec 1833
May 1834 Macfarlan, James Feb 1871
Mar 1871 Keith, George Dec 1884
Jun 1885 Bell, Oswald Jul 1896
Feb 1897 Bayne, David Jan 1940
Dec 1940 Hamilton, James Feb 1952
Dec 1952 Downie, James Calder 1966
1967 McPherson, Duncan G Jun 1975
1976 Goodman, Richard A
1984 Hill, Stanley 1998
1999 Ross, J present
