Airth Castle

      Airth Castle, the home for many centuries of the Bruces of Airth,  stands at the south end of the Hill of Airth.  The square south west tower is the earliest part, dating to the immediate period following the defeat of King James III at Sauchieburn in 1488 when  the original castle seems to have been destroyed.   The previous building (or perhaps and even earlier one) may have been attacked by William Wallace in 1298 though the unreliable Blind Harry is the main source for this particular legend.    In the mid 16th century an extension was built on the east side of the tower and in 1581 a north-east wing was added creating an L shaped building.

      The battlemented south-west tower and the extensions are three storeys high though the extensions are slightly lower in height than the tower which has an attic.   There is a  square tower at the south-east corner which houses a stair well and is surmounted by a round turret. at the south east corner.   In the early 19th century the architect David Hamilton was commissioned by the then owners, the Grahams, to fill in the arms of the L which he did with a triangular block, now the familiar face of the present hotel.  This is a gothic ‘castle’ with round towers at each end , battlements and a central range with turrets and a grand doorway.

The castle became a hotel in the mid 20th century.

Ian Scott (2006)