Compston Mill

The mill is first mentioned as a fulling mill in 1502 when the lands of Compston with the mill were granted to Trinity Collegiate Church in Edinburgh.  By the middle of the 17th century a corn mill had been added.  In 1654 we have a reference to Alexander Crawford of Manuel Mill and Jonet Ross, his wife, taking possession of:

half of the lands of Compston with the Wallke Mille new corne mill thairof and mill lands“.  

In 1658 it appears as “Newmylne of Campstoune”.  However, it is probable that the corn mills had been in existence for some time for in 1654 there is a reference to tenants:

taking their oats to be ground at the mill of Compstoun, at the rate of one peck for every six firlots of multure, and knaveship as used and wont

(Reid Notes).

 Even in 1717 it was still called the new mill –

All and heall the said Thomas Crawfurd his half of the lands of Cumpstoun with the Walkmiln and Corn Mill commonly called the New Miln.

Compston became part of the estate of Neuk or Muiravonside and was up for sale with its lands in 1754:

“… the mill called the New-Mill of Compston, mill lands thereof, and astricted multures  of  the same

(Edinburgh Evening Courant 3 October 1754, 4c). 

The thirlage was removed in 1800 by Alexander MacLeod and the mill seems to have closed at this time.

1653John Fisher

Sites and Monuments Record

Compston MillSMR 1199(NS 958 762)

G.B. Bailey, 2022