- Gael Iron Co
- Robertson & Whitelaw
- Whitelaw, WR & Co
Sites & Monuments Record
|Tamfourhill||SMR 2047||NS 865 800|
1875: Founded by Walter Whitelaw who went into partnership with Mr Robertson at the former Abbots Engine Works belonging to Thomas Sherriff (Edinburgh) adjacent to Abbot’s Foundry at Abbotshaugh.
1882: Foundry moved to the now empty Union Foundry at Lock 16 and the old site was advertised for sale or let in February. An extensive fire in September did £300 worth of damage to the works and a large number of fire- range patterns were destroyed. This was covered by insurance.
1883, May: Agreement between Peter Hay Cameron, a solicitor in Edinburgh and Francis Dickson, a chartered accountant of Edinburgh, for a new company to purchase the foundry and its accoutrements from Walter Whitelaw for £850 plus 20 shares. A share capital of £5,000 made up of £5 shares to be provided. Shareholders included Peter Hay Cameron – 100, Alexander Conacher – 40, Robert Orr – 5, William Cruickshanks of Edinburgh – 1, Robert Hamilton of Fintry, an iron merchant – 1, John Docherty Crockett of Linlithgow, a fireclay manufacturer – 1, Peter Keppie – 1, E H Craigie of Edinburgh, a metal merchant -1, Francis Dickson – 10, and John Conacher – 20. In November 1884 the site, comprising one acre and 32.5 poles and a two-storey dwelling was put up for sale.
The site of the original Gael Foundry was bought by Abbots Foundry Co., but was still in ruins in 1900.