Union Foundry

Crosthwaite, Ure & Co                       1854-1860

RW Crosthwaite                                  1860-1878

Illus: 1862 Ordnance Survey Map (National Library of Scotland).

Sites & Monuments Record

Lock 16, CamelonNS 867 799

Timeline

1854: Built on the south side of the Forth and Clyde Canal across the road from the Camelon Iron Works by RW Crosthwaite and George Ure.  First cast on 22nd September.  A crane was built on the canal bank.  Between 1855 and 1860 this foundry made all Smith and Wellstood’s stoves.

1860: George Ure moved to Bonnybridge.

Crosthwaite’s son, Henry, took control of the company for a while and was manager from 1861 to 1872 when he left for Stock­ton.   (He later returned to the Forthbank Foundry).

1878: Works moved to Thornaby-on-Tees to become known as RW Crosthwaite Ltd. The company’s interests were looked after by the Gael Foundry.

1880: Advertised for sale in March with an upset price of £2,500.  Leased for use as a chemical works by Messrs Gordon.

1886:  Site of “Old Gael Foundry” still owned by Robert and John Crosthwaite of the Union Foundry, Stockton-on-Tees.  John R Crosthwaite died in May 1914.

1896: After standing empty for a few years it was bought by Walker, Hunter and Company and incorporated into Portdownie Ironworks.

Workforce

1879: 100

G.B. Bailey, 2021