An octagonal copper alloy dial set into the circular top of a stone Doric column was rescued from Dunmore Park in the 1970s. The dial is inscribed “J Rufsell, Falkirk/ Watchmaker to H.R.H./ The Prince of Wales”. John Russell was one of Falkirk’s most famous watch and clock makers and was responsible for making the clock for the new Steeple in 1815. The sundial can be dated from the fact that he had been appointed as Watchmaker to the Prince of Wales in 1811 and died in September 1817.
The sundial was located at Dunmore Park until the 1970s when it was taken to Gask House near Kelty in Fife. In 2013 it was donated to the Falkirk Local History Society and was immediately passed on to Falkirk Museum.
Falkirk Museum 2014-14-1