Dunipace Free Church

Dunipace Free Church(SMR 1605)

NS 8202 8326

NS 8074 8331

 

 

1900    Dunipace United Free Church                        1929

1929    Denny Dunipace Church of Scotland                        1964

1964    Dunipace North Church of Scotland

Denny Dunipace Church

TIMELINE

1843:  Five elders followed Rev Bonar and left Larbert and Dunipace Parish Church.   A minister was ordained for the Dunipace congregation and a church erected in the Tentfield pattern in Church Lane; these were relatively cheap buildings with a life expectancy of forty plus years.

1888: Present building erected at the junction of Stirling Street and Barnego Road near the gates to Herbertshire Castle.   Site purchased from John Edgar for £220.   Church designed by W. Simpson had to be modified slightly for the Road Board.   The Gothic frontage stands at an angle to the roadway and contains the main entrance porch with a large English Gothic window above.   The gable was surmounted by a cross.   To the right of the porch was a tower and spire 84 ft high.   In the back gable above the pulpit was a large circular window.   A gallery across the front of the church faced the pulpit.   The vestry at the back had a fire-proof chamber below it for the heating apparatus.  The masons, James Soutar and Co of Stirling, used Polmaise stone.   Estimated cost £1500.  Foundation stone laid April 1889.   Old church used as a hall.   Opened June 1890.

1899: Halls and church offices added.

1929: At the union with Church of Scotland part of the congregation remained as the Wee Frees and held meetings in a hall in West Boreland Road (later Y.M.C.A.).

1946: The church hall in Church lane was destroyed by fire, including the piano, organ and wireless.  It was a wooden structure with a corrugated steel roof, known as the “tin hall”, and had been used for Sunday evening services.

1964: Linked with Dunipace Old in March.

1988: Dec.  Dunipace Old Church building closed.

MANSE

1937: Garage added.

SEATING

1843: 450 on pitch pine seats.

MINISTERS OF DUNIPACE CHURCH

Sep 1843

Robertson, Thomas 1885

Feb 1886

McNicol, Duncan C May 1895

Oct 1895

Miller, William Douglas Mar 1905

Jun 1905

Davidson, John Oct 1936

Mar 1937

Fenton, Peter Nov 1942

Apr 1943

Lough, John Campbell Aug 1952

Mar 1954

Smart, Harald Bruce Sep 1970

Aug 1971

Munro, Henry 1988

1989

Gallacher, Jean W

G.B. Bailey (2019)