Falkirk Congregational Church

Trinity Evangelical Union(SMR 582)

 NS 8884 8000

NS 8889 8003

First Independent Congregational Church of Falkirk

TIMELINE

1852    Bank Street Congregational Church

1798: William Burns printed a paper indicating that he intended to build a chapel by subscription.

1802: Ground in Bank Street feued from William Balloch, flesher, for the erection of a church.  Plain church built.

1803: Pastor ordained.   New title deeds stating that the Trustees were to incur the expenses of fitting up and keeping the church in repair.

1812: Fresh title deeds made out due to differences amongst the congregation.

1835: The Congregational Church ceased functioning and the building sold to the Baptists (until 1842 when it was used by E.U Congregation).   The congregation then went to Linlithgow Congregational Church, although some joined the Erskine.

1841: Preacher temporarily in Falkirk.

1843: Meetings in Rankine’s Folly Assembly Rooms.

1846: Activities ceased again.

1852:  Joined by a part of the E. U. Church who possessed the building to the north of Bank Street.

1874: Church re-opened after alterations.

1897, Nov: Final service in the Bank Street Church.

1898, May: The U.P.  Church agreed to take in the minister and congregation.  Meetings initially held in Melville Street, and then the new St. James’ Church in Thornhill Road.

SEATING

1802: 2-300

1852: 1000

MINISTERS OF FALKIRK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Nov 1803

Caldwell, Robert 1813

1815

Edwards, John 1819

May 1822

MacKenzie, David Bisset 1833

1840

Mann, James Jan 1845

1845

M’Nab, William 1846

1853

Wilson, William 1857

1859

M’Lean, James 1866

Dec 1867

Anderson, John Apr 1888

May 1888

Buchan, John D. May 1898
Combined with U.P.

G.B. Bailey (2019)